15 May 2013

Flea powder

HOMEMADE FLEA POWDER FOR DOGS and PUPPIES

I love this totally organic flea powder, as you can see from the well used tub that I keep mine in.  You can actually sprinkle it on almost anything around the home and garden to get rid of insects.
Why the ingredients used:
Diatomaceous Earth 
A natural powder made up from the microscopic skeletons of marine algae.  Kills the fleas, by mechanically cutting into their exoskeleton
Lavender
Insect repelling, Neutralizes the venom of insect bites
Eucalyptus
Repels insects, mosquitoes, and fleas
Citronella
Repels insects

Ingredients:
100g Diatomaceous Earth (DE)
10 drops Lavender essential oil
10 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
10 drops citronella essential oil

Method:
- Add the a few drops of the oils into the Earth at a time giving it a good shake between additions
- rub it into your pets coat whenever needed (no more than once a day)

Notes:
- This is great to use on puppies.  I reduce the amount of essential oils with puppies under 6 weeks.  The DE can do the job on its own
- DE is safe to ingest in small doses, so don't panic if your dog licks it off.
- Do not use on cats
Suppliers:
Diatomaceous Earth is available from Talborne organics in SA


Tips and Suggestions:
Have a look at my posts for DE:
*  Chickens for Fresh Eggs
* For more Fabulous ideas for your pets have a look at this pageThe Furry Pets and Friends Index
* Comment and share your organic flea powder ideas

This Post Links to:
So see where I link up, visit my: "I link-up to... page"


This post is Featured on:


From The Farm Blog Hop

8 comments:

  1. I was going to ask about using it on cats but just read the notes- but will pass this along to my dog owner friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Cats aren't too partial to strong smelling essential oils. If you have fresh pennyroyal growing near you you can rub it onto your cats fur to deter fleas.
      Also the DE without the essential oils can be sprinkled on your cats favourite sleeping place to kill fleas.

      Delete
    2. Yes, use the DE alone on cats. Great recipe. I don't have eucalyptus but I'm mixing up the rest now. Thanks for sharing at From the Farm Blog Hop.
      Lisa
      Fresh Eggs Daily

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this post! You were featured this week at Little Natural Cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up to From The Farm Blog Hop! We have shared your post as a favorite. I'll be trying it on my dog too! Can't wait to see what you share next :)

    Check out your featured post at http://myhealthygreenfamily.com/blog/wordpress/from-the-farm-blog-hop-is-live/

    We'll PIN and share your post on facebook.
    Leona from www.myhealthygreenfamily.com
    From The Farm Blog Hop Co-Host.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the recipe! I will definitely being trying it! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    Thank you for linking this post at Tuesdays with a Twist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Keren....can u sell your Homemade Flea Powder for dogs...im in Malaysia....? I can pay thro paypal.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't make to sell. But it really easy to make yourself, all the ingredients can be bought from my page: "my favourite things store" (look under my blog heading).

      Delete

You might also like: