This is the staple diet of the majority of South African's, made from maize meal, which is ground up dried corn. It is also the most popular side dish at a braai (barbeque) in Africa. SA Kids and adults love it! It is usually served with a tomato and onion relish or gravy. Or served with a stew, to soak up all that delicious gravy. It is even eaten for breakfast with milk and sugar as a porridge.
|Mielie pap topped with Tomato relish and melted cheese|
Ingredients for the Pap (Maize meal)
2 cups (500 ml) water
1/2 tsp (2,5ml) salt
1 cup (250 ml) maize meal
1 Tbls (15ml) butter
1 x tin sweetcorn
1 x tsp Crushed Garlic
1 x 400g Tin Tomato and onion mix
200g grated cheddar cheese
* Optional: You can add a tin of sweetcorn at this stage, or a teaspoon of garlic.
* Optional: Smooth off the top of the pap in the pot. and smooth over a tin of tomato and onion mix. cover with grated cheese.
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
Serves: 8 as a side dish
* Mix in a tin on sweetcorn to the water just before mixing in the pap for some extra decadence
* Also wonderful for breakfast (like a porridge), Add some extra milk when cooking, so it is a bit more of a sloshy mix. Scoop out some made pap into a bowl, and add milk and honey
* For more fabulous ideas and conversions have a look at my Yummy Food index page
* Please comment and share your ideas.